Saturday, July 05, 2008

Six Degrees of Separation from Me to Kevin Bacon!

My brother-in-law turned me onto this three Sundays ago when he found out about my new graphic novel artist, Adam Black's, association with KISS. He said, "Hey, you might be six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon!"

For those of you unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here, let me see if I can remember the details. I believe a someone wrote an article trying to prove that each person in the world could be connected through six people.

(Think of it like your MySpace network. You've got, like, one hundred friends, and somehow MySpace calculates your "network" to be in the millions because you connect to your friends, who are connected to their own friends who are connected to.... You get the picture. MySpace assumes that theoretically, if you friend-requested all those friends, you'd have millions of friends, which we all know isn't really feasible.)

Anyway two DJ's were talking about the the article somehow figured out that separation rhymes with Kevin Bacon, and the game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" was born. It's something you play when you're on a ten hour car ride, and you've already played the Alphabet Game about twenty times and need something else to occupy your mind. The goal is to pick an actor and try to connect that actor with Kevin bacon through movies or relationships.

(I'm sure all of you remember the Super Bowl commercial for the Visa Check card a few years ago where Mr. Bacon went and got about 6 people to prove his identity. The commercial was alluding to this little cult game...)

So, I did a little research, and I am now officially connected to Kevin Bacon:

  1. Me, and my graphic novel artist is...
  2. Adam Black, the artist for the Kiss 4K Web Comic series. He just finished promoting the series with...
  3. Gene Simmons, who starred in Runaway with...
  4. Tom Selleck, who starred in In & Out with...
  5. Matt Dillon, who starred in Wild Things with...
  6. Kevin Bacon.

Yes, I've spent a lot of time on this. Why? Because I'm a geek. It's a big puzzle, and I love solving puzzles. (If you want to keep me quiet, throw a book of sudoku and a pencil at me.)

No comments: