Monday, July 21, 2008

BabelCon 08: Don’t Go to Baton Rouge Expecting to Lose Weight

My friends, Rachel and Damian, whom I met at BabelCon last year, let me stay with them this weekend. Now Rachel and Damian possess a lot of great qualities, such as hospitality, kindness, and the sincere desire to help. They also know all the good places to eat in Baton Rouge, and they made sure to take me.

Let’s see… What are the great things that I got to eat this week?

Brunet’s (sp?) is a hole in the wall restaurant in Baton Rouge. We ate there, and I ordered the “Crawfish Dinner” because it gave you little samples of everything. So I tried:

  • Gumbo
  • Crawfish Au Gratin
  • Fried Crawfish
  • Crawfish Etoufette (sp?)
  • Spiced Crawfish (To die for. I probably said “Wow” about 15 times that night.)
  • Then I tried some of Rachel’s boiled shrimp which actually was boiled in a spice I can’t remember and it was soooo good.

Other amazing things I tried this weekend:

  • Rachel’s Grandmother’s Chicken Alba. Soooo good.
  • A Taco Bonita from a Mexican restaurant. I still don’t know what exactly it was, but it was really good.
  • Community Coffee. You guys from Baton Rouge know what I’m talking about. For those of you who don’t, let’s just say that Starbucks is closing down 9 Baton Rouge stores because of it.
  • Then, my friends from Kerlak Publishing went to a local store and brought back a bunch of…benettes? I don’t know how to spell it, and I kept pronouncing it wrong because I kept mixing it up with a bunelo, which is a Cuban doughnut. But let me tell you about these puppies. They’re like fried croissants with powdered sugar on them. Oh my goodness!!!! Wow, wow, and wow! It took all my self-control not to eat another.
  • Then Damian got us Krispy Crème doughnuts this morning. I love Krispy Crème!

So, all that weight I’ve lost? I’m probably back where I started. Thanks guys! (And I’m sure I spelled stuff wrong. I really apologize if I didn’t. I have a hard enough time spelling words in English.)

No comments: