Thursday, September 14, 2006

September 14, 2006 Daily Readings

Readings: I Samuel 17-18, Psalm 127, Romans 10
Today, what stood out the most was the friendship between Jonathan and David. Jonathan, the crown prince of Israel, basically knew that David--not him--would be Israel's future king, yet he loved David as a best friend. Jonathan loved David so much that he was willing to create tension between he and his father to help save David's life. Sometimes I wonder if I have that kind of love toward anyone.

Also, I Sam 18 is about David running away from Saul. I wonder how David felt as he became a fugitive. The prophet Samuel had told David that he would be the future king of Israel, yet we know that David spend around ten years running from Saul. What did he think, then? Did he ever lose faith? Did he ever question whether or not Samuel was really a prophet or just a weak old man with too much olive oil? I must marvel at David's faith, in continuing to trust God, even when the world was going in a way that didn't make sense. I hope that when I begin to endure things that don't make sense, my faith will remain strong.

Psalm 127: 1-2 Unless the Lord builds the house, it's builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. I hope that I seek to labor on the homes that the Lord wants built.

No comments: