Saturday, September 09, 2006

September 9, 2006 Daily Reading

Readings: I Samuel 15-16, Psalm 125, Romans 8

I guess the thing that stood out to me the most in I Sam is the anointing of David. I wonder what was going through his head. If he's anything like me, he was probably worried about how he would become king, if he would have to dethrone Saul, if people would accept him or not as king, and whether he, as a youngest son and shepherd boy, really had what it took to lead the country of Israel. If I were David, I know I would be constantly worried about the path I would take, as I am now. I know God wants me to write for him, but I'm not sure about the path I should take. What's funny is that immediately following David's anointing, God causes an evil spirit to torment Saul. Saul wants a harpist, and one of his advisors just happens to know David. POOF! David ends up in Saul's court as a musician. Just like that. The kid didn't do anything at all. I know that God is telling me that I need to relax and let him take care of the details. (Of course, David probably practiced his harp daily, and his poetry, so he wasn't exactly sitting on his butt waiting for stuff to happen.

Romans 8 is always such an in-depth chapter. I always get something new out of it. This time, what stood out the most is that "the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." I don't really understand what Paul means by this, but I know that I can see the earth groaning, just through earthquakes, tidal waves, hurricanes, etc.
I'll leave you with this:

Romans 8:38 I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor dept, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments: