Tuesday, January 29, 2008

FX International

This weekend, I sold and signed books at FX International, a comic book/fantasy/science fiction/horror/rock & roll festival in Orlando, Florida. I met some great fans and some phenomenal artists.
  • I met new author Stokely Gittens, whose book Peter Paul: The Chase Begins just debuted. Stokely and I have actually been friends on MySpace for a while, but this was the first time we met in person.
  • Behind me was comic book/trading card artist Brian Kong. His work is amazing--I can totally see why companies like Topps hire him to create those hand drawn sports and movie cards that you will sometimes find in the bubble gum packs. Brian and I talked during the slow periods, and he taught me a lot about the comic book industry. He's also a Yankees fan, and he had some great pictures of Mickey Mantle, Joba Chamberlain, Derek Jeter, and Andy Pettitte.
  • To my left was Erick Erickson, an artist who creates life-size heads of famous people.
  • To my right was Mark Mekkes, the creator of Zortic--an on-line comic strip. He's also the author of the comic book series Abby's Agency. Mark works for Disney in his spare time, and we had a little chit chat about hidden mickeys.
  • I also got to know science fiction author, Glenda Finkelstein. We had seen each other at other fantasy conventions but never really talked. It turns out that Glenda and I have similar purposes in our writing even though we write in different genres. Glenda is also an associate producer at Final Destiny Productions.
  • I also met and was interviewed by the Alien Warrior Comedian--a comedian who dresses up like an alien (great makeup, by the way) and makes fun of humans. He is actually going to be on the next series of The Last Comic Standing. You may be able to catch the interview on U-tube.

Check all these people out on MySpace by clicking their names:

I also met several other cool people, including a world class juggler and some really great Star Wars fans. (I had lots of fun talking to them.) I forgot my camera this time, so no pictures.

Stay tuned for some really big news coming up...

No comments: