Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Photos From the USS Alabama

The USS Alabama

You're not going to believe this, but this is the deck of the ship, and not all of it!

I'm sitting on one of the ship's "little guns."



These are the big guns--16" calliber! (See the above picture of the bullet.) Greg is the little guy in the black shirt and shorts that you can barely see. He's there for scale.



My husband, Greg, standing next to a bullet for the ship's "big guns." This is why you don't want to go challenging a battleship.



This is me standing next to the USS Alabama's propeller.



This gives a whole new meaning to "Weigh Anchor!"


I couldn't resist! I'm Queen of the World!


With the proper leverage, I might be able to get out of here. Where are the sword toting blacksmith and the crazy pirate when you need them?


I liked this shot, and it took a while for me to frame. The gun on the ground is what military folk refer to as "anti-aircraft."


This is a Marine amphibious...thing. Not exactly something you want to see coming up the beach!


Here, Greg is standing next to a Russian tank that was sold to the Iraqis and left abandoned in Kuwait during the first Gulf War.

You can see the WWII submarine we toured in the background behind all the cars.



I think this is the missle room inside the sub. A maniquin is "checking out" the missles. I had to stop taking pictures because the submarine was so small that I just wanted to look at everything and get out.


A swiftboat--John Kerry's political demise.

Below, you can see some artwork on the planes (and one yellow cart-thing). I took these pictures to give me an illustration of the military sense of humor. Sometimes, these little things can help my writing more than the research.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive been past that ship several times going to Florida but never had the time to stop.One day.

M. B. Weston said...

I know what you mean. I had passed it three times, and finally decided to stop. Be careful. It's like a tractor beam. It sucks you in and takes about 3 hours to complete. (And where sunscreen. I had a sunburn the rest of the trip home.)