Saturday, May 05, 2007

My First Book Signing at Barnes & Noble!





Well, on Wednesday, I got a call from Jessica at Barnes & Noble telling me that they had a slight problem with my book signing. They were down to 12 books total in the store out of the 50 that they had originally purchased, and they didn’t have time to order more. I guess that’s a good problem to have, running out of books because people want to buy them…. Fortunately, I had 100 books at home, so I lent them 50 more that Wednesday night.

Friday, May 4th, was my first book signing at Barnes & Noble—a whirlwind of a day. First, I went to Praise FM, where I was on the radio with Arnie. Then, I tried to race to PJ’s Coffee of New Orleans where the first part of my book signing was supposed to be, but I got stuck in traffic, and had to make a highly illegal u-turn in the median. I reached PJ’s, but with no time to copy my first chapter brochures for Out of the Shadows, so I sent my mom to Kinkos with my credit card, while I sat in PJ’s and signed books.

I was so excited by the turnout at PJ’s. My friend, Lundy Hedges brought a bunch of kids from her son’s school with books for me to sign, and it was great getting to meet them. A bunch of kids from my youth group and writing group also showed up, as well as some teachers from Barron Collier High School, and some friends of my parents. It was great, and the best part was that I got to introduce everyone to the phenomenal coffee at PJ’s!

Then it was off to Barnes & Noble, where I signed books for three hours. I’m not sure how many books I sold. I know that the store had negative 4 to start with because they never recorded my 50 as being received, so I figure that they had about 46. At the end of the night, we were down to 2 from what we could find, so I might have sold 44 books, which is pretty good for a book signing! A bunch of my friends from the Florida Writers Association, including Sandy Lender (http://www.todaythedragonwins.blogspot.com/) and Tina Murray (http://www.achancetosayyes.blogspot.com/) came as well as my friend, Tracy (www.myspace.com/tmmercury, from Lakeland.

The most exciting part is this: my publisher was there, and he loved the energy, the crowd, the kids, and the sweet T-shirts (that are soon going to go on sale on my website). It inspired him to….

You’re going to have to wait for my next blog to find out my exciting news!!!!!

For more pictures, visit my website at http://www.elysianchronicles.com/May_4th_BookSigning.htm.

Above all, I want to thank everyone who came out to support me. This first book signing was a big deal. I needed a good sell through rate with my books at Barnes & Noble, and I got it—they were almost left with negative 48 books by the time I left! To put it bluntly, they received the first 50 books on Friday, April 14th. Three weeks later, they sold almost 100 books! You guys, all of you, rock! You absolutely rock!


For more information on my debut novel, A Prophecy Forgotten, check out my website at http://www.elysianchronicles.com.

No comments: