Tuesday, November 07, 2006

November 7, 2006 Daily-ish Readings

Readings: I Samuel 31, II Samuel 1, Psalm 133, Romans 16
I Samuel 31: This chapter details Saul's death and the Philistines' victory over Israel. As I read this chapter, I began to wonder how I would have felt if I were an Israelite. Israel's king--jerk, though he was--was dead, and it had just lost a battle. I would probably wonder why God had allowed the Philistines a victory and why he had allowed Saul to die. If I were an Israelite back then, I would have no idea that God was about to raise up David as king--the king who would free Israel from the Philistines--and that everything was going according to His plan. I think sometimes, we all encounter things like this in our own lives. We look up at God and wonder why He has allowed horrible things to happen in our lives. I guess we just have to remember to look at the big picture and to realize that God might have to allow us to lose a little battle so we can win a big one later.

No comments: