Thursday, March 01, 2007

I Have the Best Friends EVER!

Best friends are the people you can call on in emergencies or when you're just plain old having a bad day, and they'll be there for you. (That was probably one of the most awkward sentences I've written in a while, but it's after midnight, and I'm not going to rethink it.) I've been experiencing some stress--the kind of stress that comes when you can't sell your house, which needs to be sold by the end of March or bad things happen, when you're starting your own business and can't make ends meet, when you don't have much money for food, and when you have no time to do anything because you work two jobs and have to be your own publicist. (And when you're all excited and nervous because you've got a book about to come out, but you have no idea when it's really going to happen.)

Anyway, I have the two best friends ever! My friend, Jill, went out with me for coffee at PJ's today. She listened while I complained, and she told me just what I needed and wanted to hear:
  1. Your book will come out.
  2. Your book is good, and it will sell.
  3. Your life really isn't that bad. Then she told me all the good things in my life, and she's right! What a change in perspective! That's what true friends do. They turn you around and put you back on target.
  4. She reminded me that I'm the one who keeps saying that God's timing is perfect. Duh!

Mainly, Jill just listened. And then we went to Books-A-Million and looked at YA Fantasy novels so I could organize my thoughts for a new, secret series that I'm quietly working on. It's amazing how just getting around normal people doing normal things can really help someone focus.

My friend, Sasha, was the victim of my 3:00 in the morning panic e-mail last night/morning/whatever. She e-mailed me today and told me to leave a key under my door mat. Then she came by and made Greg and me food that should last us a while. And she did my laundry while she was waiting.

So there are my two best friends. Both of them came through for me in two different ways. Jill came through for me emotionally, and Sasha came through for me by meeting some physical needs. Funny, I needed both needs met. I'm now relaxed, and I know that life is fine. I guess that through this, I've basically learned that it's okay to ask for help. I'm not very good at it. It's a pride thing that I have to get over. And I've also learned how to be a better friend. I just hope I can repay them and be there when they need me.

For more information on my debut novel, A Prophecy Forgotten, check out my website at http://www.elysianchronicles.com.

1 comment:

Raven Bower said...

Friends like that are the most precious gifts in the world.