Monday, January 22, 2007

January 22, 2007 Daily-ish Readings

Readings: I Kings 4-5, Psalm 148, I Corinthians 14
I Kings: So Hiram was the king of Tyre. Hmm, I wonder if the Free Masons know that.... Cult issues aside, Hiram says "Praise be to the Lord," regarding Solomon. Did Tyre know and worship Israel's God? I ask only because a prophecy from Ezekiel 28 predicted Tyre's destruction. (The prophecy was later fulfilled in an amazing way, and I believe Alexander the Great may have had a hand in it.) In Ezekiel, God accuses the king of Tyre of severe pride. What happened to Tyre for it to go from being the nation Solomon reaches out to for help in building the temple to becoming a nation that God decided to destroy?

I Corinthians: I can't believe I'm reading this. I've been weighing the idea of writing a book about Old Testament Prophecies and how they came true through the life of Jesus Christ. I Corinthians 15:24 says, "But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, 'God is really among you!'" Now, granted, the prophecies that Paul is referring to here are not Old Testament prophecies, but it's still pretty cool.

No comments: